Friday, June 26, 2009

Ride Along





On Wednesday we went to the Times Picayune and met some of the photojournalists working for the New Orleans paper. I got to do a ride along with Jennifer. Jennifer had two assignments today and I was lucky enough to tag along. The first was the documentation of a tree over 275 years old, being restored after it had been severely vandalized. A man know as "The Gray Ghost", a title he sustained due to the gray squares of paint he uses to cover graffiti in the city, was helping to restore the tree in a non damaging way. Her second assignment was a lot more complex. We went to Borders Bookstore, previously a funeral home. Jennifer was to meet a couple that wanted to remember a lost loved one who was buried there. There was a specific book section that used to be the revered location.  I was very curious to see how she would execute such a project. Jennifer took some great portraits of the couple both indoor between bookshelves, and at an outdoor patio. 
After her assignments Jennifer asked about our essay projects and gave us a lot of helpful insights. When I told her about my project, she took me to Old Jefferson. In this area there were many houses living on the river, some of the houses were old and many had long wooden docks leading into them. I got some great shots of these houses and I hope I get the oppertunity to go back and meet some of the individuals occupying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment